Who May Take Lessons: Lessons are provided for 9 yrs - Adult.
Payment and Fee Information with Cancellation Policy: 1.Payment options:
-Pay at time the time of each lesson, cash or check only. -Pay for 4 lessons at once, cash or check only.
2. Payment and cancellations or missed lessons: -Missed lessons can be made up with future make up lessons and no lesson fee applied only if: - 24 hour notice was given for the cancelled lesson/s - An emergency situation occurred that could not be foreseen
Please note: Any lessons missed for other reasons (no shows, or "just forgetting") will be charged or if pre-paid, not refunded.
3. Fees cover: Instruction, cost of rent and instruments, recital fees, supplemental music, statuettes/reward system, other studio costs.
4. Additional costs for lessons: Instructional books and practice notebooks. (See Lesson Content for more information in this policy.)
5. See the Pricing tab on this web page for detailed lesson options and pricing.
Lesson Content: 1. Alfred's Basic Piano Library courses will be used. After the appropriate level is determined, the student/student family is responsible for buying their own lesson books. Most levels have 4 books for each level: Lesson, Performance, Theory, and Technique.
Supplemental books are available as well at each level but are not required. Books can be found at: https://www.alfred.com/alfreds-basic-piano-library/ or amazon.com.
There are four courses available: Prep, Basic, All-in-One, Complete. There are also adult beginner courses.
(See the Alfred Library levels graphic below, taken from the Alfred website.)
2. Additional theory, and music history to supplement Alfred's Lesson books.
3. Additional music provided by instructor to supplement Alfred's Lesson books.
4. Opportunities to play a school instrument, if applicable, with accompaniment by the instructor. This experience is typically around the large studio recitals that happen twice a year.
5. Possible opportunities to participate in duets or larger ensembles with other studio students, either on the piano or with school instruments.
Practice Expectations: 1. The practice goal for most students is to practice for 30 minutes, 5 days a week. Younger students may work up to 15 minutes of practice a day, 5 days a week.
2. Each student will provide a Music Practice Log that they will bring to lessons with their Alfred books.
This 52 week log will be used during lesson time to keep track of assignments for the week, as well as to record practice times. It also contains additional space for instructor comments to keep parents apprised of progress, as well as keep track of pieces that have been prepared and ready to present, a repertoire list. This log can be purchased on Amazon for $6.00.
Optional: A student/family may choose to forgo the Music Practice Log and purchase a normal spiral notebook instead, although the log is preferred.
Books/Supplies Needed at Every Lesson: 1. Alfred's Basic Piano Library books (See Lesson Content above.) Books can be found at: https://www.alfred.com/alfreds-basic-piano-library/ or amazon.com.
The instructor will help decide the appropriate level. The level will be determined at first lesson or prior to first lesson if possible. Most students will have 4 books: Lesson, Performance, Theory, Technique. There may be variations with age level and Alfred program selected.
2. Music Practice Log: 52-week practice log with two-page repertoire list, Nov 24, 2017 by John Chamley. This book can be purchased at Amazon.com.
Recitals: 1. Full studio recitals: Green Bird Studio will have two large recitals each year that will include the entire studio/all students.
-One will be in late December or early January depending on student schedules. -One will be late May or early June depending on student schedules.
These recitals will be located on the Greenville University campus in the Whitlock Music Recital Hall. These recitals are usually held on Sunday afternoons. The hall is handicap accessible and has plenty of room to accommodate friends and family. A reception typically follows in the foyer.
2. In-studio recitals: There will be 4-6 in studio recitals a year. These will mostly by level/age, and will be much smaller affairs. They will be for students only. These small group recitals will provide students practice with playing in front of others, as well as work-shopping recital experiences. This entails sharing, discussion, and processing of the recital experience.
3. Reward system for recitals/positive reinforcement: Students will receive and collect a composer bust for every performance in which they are a participant. They will trade in these statuettes at various times until they receive a large composer bust that they may keep.
-4 small busts = a trade in for 1 medium bust -8 medium busts = a trade in for 1 large bust to keep
Calendar: We will be following the schedule of the Bond County Unit 2 public school system. Generally, there will be no lessons on school holidays. If the school is closed due to inclement weather, Green Bird Studio will be closed as well. Exceptions may be made if streets are cleared during the day. Appointments will be made on an individual basis after a request for lessons is made.
Currently days available to schedule piano lessons: -Mondays until 5pm -Tuesdays all day -Thursday after 3pm
Social Media, pictures, and videos: Pictures and video will be used for social media accounts and on website photo gallery.
-Please note below in the comment section when signing this policy if you agree or do not agree to having pictures or video of you or child on-line.
-Video will be used in studio at times to allow students to see their own performances as a part of the learning process. These may be sent to parent phones at times. Please note in the comment section if this is unacceptable to you.
Notes on Arrival Time for Lessons: -Show up 5 minutes prior to the scheduled lesson time.
-Kids under 12 years of age must have an adult present in the waiting room if they are there for longer than 5 minutes.
-Please know that children 12 yrs and older will not be monitored if in the waiting room during another student's lesson time. The instructor will be teaching, not watching your children.
-12 yr olds may arrive early to practice on the waiting room keyboard with headphones. They must bring their own headphones.
-Younger children may also arrive early to practice on the keyboard with their own headphones, however they must be accompanied the entire time by a parent/guardian.
-When Fusion Dance Center is in session, you may enter the building on your own. If the front doors of Fusion Dance Center are locked, please park out front and you will be let in at your lesson time.
NOTE: Please be patient as students are coming/going as sometimes lessons do go over. Please know that the instructor can not let in a parent or student during another student's lesson time.
Notes on Conduct: -Please be respectful of the Green Bird Studio space and instruments. Students are expected to behave in ways that will do no harm to the space or instruments. This includes: not banging on the instruments, no water or food will be allowed around these instruments.
-Please be respectful of the instructor/s and other students and family members of students or anyone else in this facility. This means that while you are in Fusion Dance Center and the Green Bird Studio: There will be no loud noises, yelling, arguing, running, jumping or any other disruptive behavior.
-All property brought in to this studio space is your responsibility and shouldn't be left unattended. Green Bird Studio will not be held responsible for any loss or left of personal items.
-In general, the refrigerator, stove, and microwave are not for student use. Please do not use any food or beverages stored in the refrigerator.
-Upon arrival, students are encouraged to wash their hands if they have been eating or snacking before playing the keyboard in the waiting room or playing the piano in the main studio.
Notes on Covid Policy: -Please do not come for lessons with any symptoms or suspicion that there is covid in your home.
-If you cancel under 24 hours due to covid or symptoms that may be covid, you will not be charged for the lesson.
-Green Bird Studio will be following CDC recommendations on masking that coincides with community transmission.
Notes on Safety: -Please be mindful of the very long staircase. Please insure that all people hold on to the rail when ascending and descending.
-Children younger than 12 yrs of age should not be unattended for longer than 5 minutes.
-Please be aware, parents, that there is a back door exit with an external staircase.
-Please be aware, once more, that the instructor will be busy teaching with doors closed and will not be able to monitor or watch any children in the kitchen/waiting room area. -Please keep children away from the stove, windows, AC units and the water heater room. These are off limits.